Director, Energy System Transition
We are seeking a Director, Energy System Transition to be a part of the Executive Management Team to assist in ensuring strategic goals are met and to focus on business priorities to deliver impactful projects that will shape, define and change energy markets and provide tangible benefits and advocate on behalf of consumers.
Reporting directly to the CEO, you will play a significant role in imagining a future energy system in which consumers could be buying, selling and trading energy while working with stakeholders on the pathways for realising that future.
The ideal candidate will also be responsible for influencing, negotiating and informing regulators, state/federal government officials and industry leaders to ensure the best outcome for consumers. You will hold the skills and experiences in order to build strong relationships with the Australian Energy Market Commission, the Australian Energy Market Operator and their Consumer Panel on the Integrated System Plan and the Australian Energy Regulator and their Consumer Reference Group on Rate of Return, consumer advocacy groups, and other key stakeholders.
• Policy advice and problem solving – providing high level policy advice and solutions to our CEO, other policy directors and external stakeholders on often complex issues impacting consumers.
• Analysing and reviewing market design, whole of system planning and regulatory frameworks and their implications for outcomes for consumers.
• Key stakeholder relationship management and maintenance including communication, negotiation, identifying opportunities, facilitating cooperation, issues management and ensuring projects with stakeholders are delivered on time and within budget.
• Presenting to and influencing important external stakeholders in industry, government and in regulatory bodies.
• Preparing briefing papers for the CEO and Board when required.
• Writing and reviewing submissions on behalf of the company
• Managing a small team and external consultants when required.
• Managing and evaluating projects as well as managing risk.
• Analysis and background research on market design policy issues.
• Make a significant contribution to innovation and business improvement.
To be successful in this role you will need to have the following experience and criteria:
• Undergraduate or post graduate degree in Economics, Engineering, Science or related degree
• 7-10 years energy market experience with a strong focus on policy, market design or economic forecasting
• Possess a true passion for the evolution of the energy industry and/or public policy
• Highly developed qualitative and quantitative analytical and research skills which you use to influence and shape outcomes and are adept at thinking creatively to identify options and achieve outcomes.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills; influential communicator with excellent written and oral communication skills and strong presentation skills and experience.
• Demonstrated ability to build strategic partnerships and collaborate with your exemplary stakeholder management and engagement skills.
• Experienced and effective team manager
Project management skills and ability to meet deadlines – you have the ability to prioritise tasks as well as achieving project milestones to the required standards and within budget.
As a person you act with integrity and professionalism
• Previous exposure to presenting findings publicly to committees and / or media outlets or possesses the ability to complete media training
What’s on Offer?
• Media training and opportunities
• Become a thought leader in the market
• Help shape the future of the energy market
• Access to influential industry leaders and government officials