The Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Retail Tariff Tracker is an ongoing project for Energy Consumers Australia. It collects data twice per year, with reports on trends published in June and December.
Key highlights are:
- Electricity bills were, on average, 4% lower in April 2021 for small businesses across Australia compared with a year earlier.
- Average electricity bills reduced across all jurisdictions in the National Electricity Market. Victoria had the greatest reduction of 14%, followed by South Australia (9%), Queensland (6%), NSW (4%), the Australian Capital Territory (3%) and Tasmania (1%).
- On the other hand, average bills for small businesses rose by 4% in Western Australia, and remained unchanged in the Northern Territory.
- Bills were slightly lower for most small businesses using gas compared with a year earlier decreasing by 2%. The greatest decreases were in NSW (8%) and the ACT (6%), with marginal reductions in Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia.
- In contrast, gas bills in South Australia increased by 4%, and remained unchanged in Tasmania.