// Add the new slick-theme.css if you want the default styling
Energy Consumers Australia logo

What energy concessions and rebates can I access? 

Find out more.

With cost-of-living pressures, there are many Australians who are struggling to pay their energy bills. But you don’t need to struggle on your own – there are a range of support options available to you. Federal, state and territory governments have a variety of concessions and rebates to support Australians afford essential services and help them meet their energy needs.

Am I eligible?

Each government (federal, state, and territory) has a range of concessions and rebates. What you are eligible for will differ based on your location.

Additionally, your circumstances will dictate what support you can receive. In most instances, you will need a concession or pensioner card to access these rebates. However, there are some exceptions to this.

Every person will be different so it’s important to check what you can access.

What else do I need to know?

It’s not always straight forward to access a concession or rebate. Here are some tips to help you navigate the process:

  • If you or someone in your household is a concession card holder, the energy bill must be registered in the name of the concession card holder to be eligible to access the concession.
  • If you move homes or switch energy providers, you’ll need to make sure the rebate has been applied to the new account.  
  • Set a reminder in your diary at the start of the year to see if you need to reapply for any concessions or rebates. They don’t all automatically roll over.
  • If your household is registered for using a life support machine, you cannot be disconnected. 

What concessions and rebates exist?

We’ve put together a list of energy concessions and rebates that you might be able to access. The options listed may not be an exhaustive list of all support available and are subject to change. Visit DCCEEW’s website for a full list of options: https://www.energy.gov.au/rebates or click on each heading below for more information.

Federal Government




South Australia


Western Australia

  • Energy Assistance Payment – support for concession holders to pay your electricity bills. 
  • Energy Concession Extension Scheme – an annual payment to assist with energy costs for eligible concession card holders in embedded networks. OR an annual payment to assist with energy costs for eligible concession card holders who are not supplied electricity by Synergy or Horizon Power (e.g. purchase electricity from caravan park operator or strata company, etc).  
  • Hardship Utility Grant Scheme – assists customers in financial hardship and unable to pay their utility bills.  
  • Life Support Equipment Energy Subsidy – assists eligible concession card holders with energy costs associated with life support equipment.
  • Electricity Account Establishment Fee Rebate – a rebate to offset the cost of setting up a new electricity account.
  • Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy – a subsidy to support those who require heating or cooling to control the temperature in their home, due to specialist medical advice.
  • Air Conditioning Rebate – subsidies the cost of running an air conditioner for eligible concession card holders in areas that are deemed high heat discomfort locations during the hottest months of the year.

Northern Territory

  • NT Concession Scheme – electricity concessions for eligible pensioners and concession holders. Specific concessions also exist for those on pre-paid electricity meters, living in a caravan park, or using alternative energy.  
  • NT Seniors Recognition Scheme – a payment to spend on items including utility bills. 


What other support can I access?

There’s a range of other support that you can access including speaking to your energy provider, seeing if you’re on the best energy deal, contacting the national debt helpline, and speaking to your ombudsmen. For more information, see our factsheet here.

Remember, if you are concerned about your energy bill, even if it’s only temporary, act now so you can get help as soon as possible.